LIVING WORD DEVOTIONAL
By Pastor Mensa Otabil
Wednesday 22nd June 2022
GUIDELINES FOR FASTING
Scripture Reading: Matthew 6:1-18
But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. Matthew 6:17–18
As we prepare for the beginning of our 40 days of Power, I want to share some practical thoughts on how to go about a fast.
1. Fast in faith. A fast must be done as an expression of faith in God. Though, abstaining from food is a physical act, it helps us achieve a spiritual end.
2. Start slowly. If you’ve never fasted before, start slow. You can start with missing one regular meal for the first week. Then skip two meals the second week. In the third week skip all regular meals and end each day with some fruits or plain soup. This can continue to the fourth through to the sixth week.
3. Drink lots of water. The Bible does reference a total fast (i.e. no food, no water) but those are rare exceptions. When you fast, you need to drink as much water as you need to. Water helps you keep your internal organs functioning while on a fast.
4. Don’t be legalistic. Don’t be legalistic about the “fine print” of your fast, and don’t look for loopholes. If you put some food in your mouth accidentally, don’t give up. Just eat the morsel in your mouth and continue with the fast. God knows your heart.
5. Break your fast carefully. At the end of the day, when you break your daily fast, don’t be eager to wolf down your food. Eat something light and eat slowly. Take small morsels and chew slowly. I wouldn’t recommend breaking a fast with a heavy meal.
6. Keep your mind on the Lord. Fasting puts us in a spiritual mode. Pray, read the bible and follow online with our intercessory prayers.
7. Expect results. Fasting is a way to connect with God on a deeper level. Expect Him to show up in your life. God will move in your life as the result of a fast, but you need to be patient. You may not see it immediately. Jesus said this about fasting, “Your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you”
Prayer: Heavenly Father, help me to stay on course as I draw close to you. Let each day be a spiritual journey with you. In Jesus’ name, Amen.