The Presidential Candidate of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), John Dramani Mahama, has filed a Petition at the Supreme Court to challenge the 2020 Presidential Election Results Declaration by the Chairperson of the Electoral Commission of Ghana.
The Petition was filed pursuant to the party‘s audit of the 2020 Presidential results and extensive consultations with the National Executive Committee and Council of Elders of the party.
The Petition, which was filed by the former President’s lawyers on Wednesday 30th December 2020, details serious violations of the 1992 Constitution by the Electoral Commission and its Chairperson and Returning Officer for the Presidential Election, Mrs. Jean Adukwei Mensa in the conduct of their constitutional and legal responsibilities.
It seeks among others, a declaration from the Supreme Court to the effect that, the purported declaration of the results of the 2020 Presidential Election on the 9th day of December 2020 is unconstitutional, null and void and of no effect whatsoever.
A statement by the NDC and signed by its General Secretary, Johnson Asiedu-Nketia, said the former President, H.E John Dramani Mahama will address the nation at 8pm on the petition filed and other related matters.
Meanwhile, the under-listed personalities have been assigned as Spokespersons on the matter and may be contacted by the media after the Petitioner’s address to the nation and throughout the hearing of the matter:
1. Hon. Marietta Brew Appiah-Oppong Esq. – Former Attorney General and Minister for Justice.
2. Hon. Dr. Dominic Akuritinga Ayine Esq.- MP for Bolgatanga East and former Attorney General and Minister of Justice.
3. Dr. Abdul Baasit Aziz Bamba Esq. – Member of NDC Legal Team
4. Hon. Alex Segbefia Esq.- Director of International Relations, NDC
5. Abraham Amaliba Esq. – Director Legal, NDC
6. Sammy Gyamfi Esq.- National Communications Officer, NDC
7. Kakra Essamuah Esq.- NDC Communications Director
8. Joyce Bawa Mogtari Esq. – Special Aide and Spokesperson of HE John Dramani Mahama
9. Godwin Edudzi Tamakloe Esq. – Member of NDC legal team